Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bienvenidos a Guatemala!

This is a photo of the small farm near San Juan Chamelco, outside of Coban, Guatemala where I have been taking spanish lessons for the past two days. My entry into Guatemala was almost too easy, getting picked up from the airport and brought to the guest house, then the next morning a taxi right to the bus to Coban where I was met immediately by my wonderful hosts from the EcoCabaña language school. my lessons are fast paced and the homework is intense. today I have to write about the entire process of coffee production, from the soil to the plant to the harvest to the processing to cupping and grading and roasting, packing and brewing. in spanish! today was my second day! oy. After this intensive week of schooling, I will be free to get up to the fields and stay with coffee farmers for a night or two, hopefully longer. The next step in the plan was to get to a finca where they produce some amazing coffee in Huehuetenango called El Injerto, but late rains have rendered the roads unpassable between Coban and huehue, so I´ll have to go through El Capital to get there, which will take days, and I foresee myself getting distracted in Xela or lago atitlan on the way from Guate to Huehue.

soon, it´ll be all about the coffee. right now it´s all about learning spanish.

COFFEE!!

2 comments:

  1. pues, martes salirè para un trek por las montañas por dos semanas. regresare a xela el viernes, el 20th de february. Forgive mi spanglish ahora, despues de beber dos cervezas es dificil escribir en español totalmente. nos vemos el semana ultímo de febrero, ¿sí?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tambien, podrías enviarme tu numero de celular otra vez...mi celular lo comiò

    ReplyDelete