Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Art

The following pictures are of pieces of art that I've done in the past little while. All are done using nothing but paper and x-acto knives, some also have lightbulbs in the photos. Many are works in progress and in most cases I'm not happy with the photo quality. Click on the images for bigger pictures.

If I remember correctly, this is one of the very first I ever made. Musculature of the back and shoulders. The black is all one piece of paper, cut out the inside and pasted on the red, then cut out around it and pasted it on the beige.


This is a tree from a photo I took near the coffee roasting company where I used to work.


This evergreen was a new challenge, I finished it yesterday. It's from a photo I took at Snoqualmie Falls in Washington state.



These two pieces are for my, sadly, now inactive band, Nepantla.
Find our recordings to listen to by clicking here.
I'm way into the shapes of skulls with antlers and have a pile more pieces like this but unfortunately don't have any photos of them and they're really far away now.


Click on this one for a bigger image and better detail!! Actual size is about 9"x20"
It is of the human central nervous system, taken from a totally sweet anatomy book. It took a very very long time and spent a huge number of blades. I built a light box for it. This is the piece I'm most excited about and so the image quality I'm most disappointed by. Someday I'll have a nice camera again.


Detail of the brain and head.


The first tree I cut, and idiotically glued to an opaque piece of paper. no backlighting here. Also from a photo taken near the old roasting shop.



I love birds and trees and birds in trees. This was cut from a photo I took in Ohio. It's a work in progress. The sweet blue textured effect is from hanging it on a white fridge and taking a picture with the flash on a weird color balance setting. It will look much different when it's done.

I've got folder full of 'em, thanks to many late nights and a good portion of ISIS's discography.

2 comments:

  1. Heeeeey, I've never seen any of your artwork. As you said, the one of the central nervous system is amazing! I had no idea you were so artistically inclined. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful. I used to do a lot of papercutting, but I don't think mine ever compared. Exquisite.

    And all the best on your travels to Guatemala. It's an amazing experience to see places like this, especially that mean so much to you. My time in Vietnam completely re-shaped the way I think about everything. Quite literally.

    I'll be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete